Saturday, September 11, 2010

Go Utes!!

So, today was the first day that I have really been away from the hospital during the day.  It wasn't very easy for me to leave Christian, even in the very loving, capable hands of Sheila and Mike.  I'm pretty sure all three of them were conspiring to get me to go to the Utah game.  For those of you that don't know, Christian married into a pretty devout Utah family.  He has been, for lack of a better word, dragged to all of the games since we started dating.  I think he started out indifferent and was just being a good sport, but now I actually think he loves it as much as I do.  Anyway, I went to the game while Chris and his parents spent the day together.  It was fun and the game was great, but I can't wait until Christian is ready to come to the games again.  Go Utes!

That little story is not the reason I am writing tonight.  This morning I went to visit Chris before the game and I helped Chris do some stretching and muscle work.  He did great and as like most days we saw a little more movement than the last.  Today he had a little extension in his wrist.  That is HUGE, we haven't seen much in his upper extremities since the accident.  After the game my mom and I went back to the hospital to visit before bed.  We were visiting and there was a knock on the door and to our surprise it was the Life Flight team.  Laurie was one of the flight nurses that helped get Christian off of the mountain.  He remembers her above him during the flight.  She said that she helped him with his breathing during the whole ordeal, talked him through it.  She said she's been thinking about him a lot, because that when they were getting out of the helicopter he said "I'm going to make the most of this".  They were excited to see that he was true to his word and making the best of this situation.  It was pretty amazing to be able to meet and thank the people that saved his life.  So thank you Laurie RN, Gordon RN, and Rich (pilot) for doing what you do...saving fabulous people like my husband. Anyhow, Christian started showing off his moves to the them and he moved his arm, his whole arm, using his bicep!  Another first.  It is so amazing to watch his hard work pay off.  From morning to night his movement gets better.  Sure there may be days when we don't get as much as the last, but as of now we're on the up and up and no one can stop us.

Chris and I have talked about what we are supposed to be learning from this and how it has changed our perception on life...thus far.  I can tell you that from minute one when Matt showed up at our house to take me to the hospital my view of this life changed, instantly.  I will share just a couple of the many lessons we have learned.  Love unconditionally and without limits.  Live a life of no regrets.  Wear a helmet :).  Patience.  Befriend a EMT today.  I could go on all night, but I'll save a few for Chris to share with you at a later time.  

A quote to sleep on..."God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  Henry David Thoreau

All my love.  Jessi

7 comments:

  1. Let's add marry an amazing, beautiful, smart, strong, courgous, loving, goofy, UTE girl! So happy Christian has you by his side. I knew from the moment I met you that he had to marry you or I wouldn't be a happy camper. I am so proud of all he has accomplished, each day it's something new. You know you play a HUGE role in his ability to recover. Love ya Jessi! p.s. so neat that the life flight team came to check on him. He must have left a impression on them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Jessi! You're an incredible woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi,

    You are such a wise woman, and I'm so very proud to be a blood relative of yours. The courage and strength both you and Christian hold on a daily basis makes me want to strive to be a better person. You inspire me.

    Love you both so very much!

    xoxo

    Amy (Reed) T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was good to see you out and about (at the game) but I knew your heart was still with Christian... his vblog was so sweet... he adores you!

    Keep up all the hard work Christian!

    Love,
    Geremy and Lauren Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you Jess! Hang in there. Love Court and Hayes

    ReplyDelete
  6. We constantly have Christian, Jessi and family in our prayers and on our minds. Christians comment of "I'm going to make the most of this" comes to us as no surprise. As for our family, Christian has gone above and beyond "making the most of this", for my son Sid. Christian has been Sid's big brother fr the Big Brother/ Big Sister program for 8+ years and has made such a big difference in his life. Jessi came along and now they make an amazing duo, they continue to include my son in their busy lives...thank you both for your care and love. We will continue to pray for Christian and give praise for his great improvements. Love, Michelle, Herman and Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christian

    Christian when I first heard of your accident I was upset and could not believe this could happen to such an amazing and good dude! My family and I have been following this well done blog each day, I find myself looking at it a couple times a day. You have been an inspiration to many so far I believe. When adversity enters someones life we all react differently but WOW you have responded in such an amazing way! Keep up the good work, you and your wife are in our thoughts and prayers:)!
    All the best wishes

    Travis Ferran & Family

    ReplyDelete