Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Words from Matt Hoffman

Christian’s friend Matt here. Jess and the family asked me to write a post for the blog. Please forgive me if this rambles a bit, as I was given a very open assignment.

The most important thing I can tell everyone is Christian seems to be doing better.

The trick, I have found, with an injury like this, is defining exactly what “better” means. Collectively, the hospital struggles to do this well. You can tell the nurses actually want to give you some context around his progress, but can’t seem to bring themselves to provide any lasting conclusions, and the doctors, well, they just seem busy. In this case progress comes in tiny increments, played out over frustratingly long periods of time for all of us who would like to see our friend miraculously shrug off a broken neck and walk out of the hospital asking, “you want to go camping this weekend?”

Alas, I’ll gladly settle for the fact that he is no longer in a perpetual state of trying to puke out his intubation tube. (Imagine the last time you had the flu, sitting in front of the toilet, and those first moments or retching, your whole midsection contracting. Now do that for 12 hours.) He can breathe well on his own. (Grab an extra long snorkel, hold your nose closed, imagine having the worst cough of your life, and breath as best you can while swimming. Repeat for 4 days. See above for added challenge of gagging on a tube.) And, amazingly, he has been moving lots of muscles in his legs, feet, midsection, and butt. These are all definite signs of progress based on his lack of movement after the injury.

I guess that’s been the point of watching Christian for the last few days. This whole lousy cosmic poker hand has illuminated the concept of “relative progress”. Before Thursday it would have been hard to imagine being really happy about Christian moving his feet, but I am. It’s great to celebrate each little victory as they happen, watching his determination (he has plenty), his own self satisfaction with each incremental step, and his family and wife by his side. It starts the mind reeling.

OK, here comes the trite attempt to acknowledge what I’ve seen and have begun to learn. If you believe in god/fate/predetermination, this one is a case study. We weren’t riding anything technical, never took any abnormal risks, and I probably couldn’t find the spot where Christian fell if I tried. Christian is a fantastic guy, as we all know, and had nothing but good karma built up with the cosmos. Shit just happened, as they say. (Still a tough one for me to process.)

Also, the waiting room has been a virtual laboratory of whom and what is really important in your life. The people close to Christian have done an amazing job of providing a support network and constant stimulus. Although I would rather not have every relative I have seeing me in such a compromised position, I wish I had the same sort of family network here in Utah. You should see Jessie work the nurses with smiles (when they respond quickly) and the casual get-your-butt-in-gear look she delivers so well when Christian has to wait.

And most importantly, Christian never fails to amaze me. I’m sure he has his tough moments, but I haven’t seen them. Let’s just remind everyone a few things about Christian that should help you understand the level of dignity, grace and strength that he has summoned from the first moment of his injury. First, the guy is a ridiculous clean freak. Have you ever been to his house? Casual dinners at his place have literally inspired me to clean up my kitchen. He cleans dishes between courses. He organizes his refrigerator. The guy is a nut. Try helping him do something, or offering advice on a task when not requested. When we go camping, he won’t even let me bring my camp cooking materials because (and he’s right) his setup is better and he’d rather cook himself. He’s also about the most organized guy I’ve ever met when it comes to his schedule and his free time. He was scheduled four weekends out when I called him a month ago. Our ride on Thursday was the first time we both overlapped in six weeks. During the summer it’s like scheduling time with a dignitary.

This must be a tremendous exercise in patience for him. Even asking him yesterday, “I bet this is super annoying not to be able to talk. Are you getting sick of all these visitors coming in here and asking you questions?” He just shook his head no and smiled. Though between Jessie and I talking too much, he must be lying. Not having control of things as simple as suctioning out his mouth, or scratching an itch on his head, will inevitably make Christian a more patient person and provide him an even larger sense of empathy toward others. I can’t wait until he can talk and some of those pressures can be relieved. (No doubt he’ll grow as a person, but nobody wants to be THAT patient.)

So his “relative progress” has been encouraging. He’s gone from no movement at all, to “really remarkable” (nurses words) movement in his lower body. He can breathe, he can begin to communicate, and he gets to spend some quality time with his wife and family. He’s also the kind of personality who will look back on this and credit his fall with making him a better human being.

His Mom mentioned to me yesterday that clinicians believe that the success of the rehab coming up will largely be dependent on three things; his desire to do it, his support network, and signs of progress thus far. That left me feeling pretty good about Christian’s prospects. He’s got all three of those things in spades.

As for our friendship, we can go mountain biking (and will again), or eat dinner with the girls anytime in the future. It’s these hard moments of real life that actually build lasting bonds between people. I have no doubt we’ll remain friends for a long time after this is all finished. In the mean time, I can’t wait for him to be able to talk without strain, so I can beat him at board games, make fun of his hair, and tell him how much I have learned from him this week.

(You can tell from Matt's comments what a wonderful human being he is.  We love you Matt!)

8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. We are all lucky that Matt saved Christian's life and kept him around for all of us a bit longer. And he is lucky to have Matt as a friend who clearly cares so much about him. My thoughts and love are with you all, and I will continue to hope for "relative progress". The road is long and slow, but every improvement is monumental, and we are all cheering for you Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt did everything right - technically and with great compassion and connection with Christian. What a comfort to Christian at the time and to us now. Matt prefers "good friend" to "angel" or "hero" so. . . thank you good friend Matt. You are a part of this continual miracle and we love you.
    The Reeds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, haven't met Matt but I sure hope to soon. Christian is very lucky to call him a friend. Thanks for the post Matt, I have always known my cousin was an outstanding guy but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. Thanks for saving his life!!!!!! I am sure that will be one of many things Christian will have to say to you when he can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like everything is going way better than expected. Thumbs up to Christian. And, a round of applause to Matt. Since we do not know Christian, only his amazing mom and dad, this fabulous description from such a great friend is greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt.

    Craig and Linda Hendry

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do not personally know either of these amazing men, but they are very fortunate to be able to call each other "friend" because both are going to be changed forever from this point on in their lives.
    Prayers and praise for both Christian and Matt from Wyoming (our daughter is Katie).
    Ann and Mike Rudoff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know Christian well, but he is obviously tough as nails, in addition to the other wonderful qualities described. Excellent post, Matt. Also,I would second this from all I've ever seen: "... the success of the rehab coming up will largely be dependent on three things; his desire to do it, his support network, and signs of progress thus far." And I'd add the shape you're in to start with, which is huge (this from my own heart transplant, August 2005). It makes me nervous to be overly optimistic, but it's hard not be, in spite of intubation tubes from Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't help but note the "god/fate/predetermination (snip) Shit just happened, as they say. (Still a tough one for me to process)" comment. Yes, that is a tough one. Having my family feeling like a "poster family" for "when bad things happen to good people" ourselves a few years ago, (our particular situation resulted in being on the evening news in Utah for several days, and even taking news paper reporter calls from as far as Calif. following the freak accident and resulting death of our 18 month old daughter) - I have an idea of what you must be feeling, and the questions you may be asking.

    While some choose to believe that "everything happens for a reason" - I have a different interpretation, one similar to what "they" say. I believe that accidents are just that, accidents. And as much as one can wish for tidy "answers" to the "whys" of life - sometimes the most challenging test is in not always knowing - and this is part of God's plan also. No, I don't believe that God causes bad things to happen, but even evil is *allowed* to "happen," perhaps you may know the reference "to provide for {mortal} experience". The choices we make in moving forward is where character may be measured most.

    Even in the midst of terrible tragedy - is the blessing of the evidence of amazingly good people willing to ease suffering and help in ways both large and small - sometimes by people we don't even know.

    Roger M. SLC. UT

    ReplyDelete