Friday, September 24, 2010

A Mother's Love & Rocks


Christian’s mom (Sheila Deputy) here. I wish I could take the credit for writing this blog, but can't. It is Christian’s brother, Justin, that has written 90% of what has appeared on this inspiring blog. 

I apologize for taking so long to add my comments. First of all, it took some time to get my emotions together-imagine that. And, time to figure out how to put all the thoughts I’ve had into words. So, here goes!


Christian is our firstborn child. From day one he developed many of the typical “eldest child” traits. He’s been focused, driven, spiritually strong, a positive example, and a mentor to his three younger siblings. I’ve always felt that it is these traits that made him the man he is today. This may sound like bragging, and honestly, it is, but Christian (except for the 6 ear infections in the first year of his life-which caused very little sleep on his part and his parents), has been a joy to raise.

Lest you think that he never did anything wrong, think again! (Nope, I won’t tell on you, Christian.) It’s just that, as he grew, Christian continued to raise the bar, mostly of his own accord. For instance, one goal Christian set early on, was to earn his Eagle Scout award. With little to no pushing or prodding on our part, he reached that goal at 15.

School wasn’t easy for Christian. He had to study hard, and apply himself to get decent grades. At the beginning of Christian’s sophomore year in high school, he made the decision that he wanted to get GOOD grades. Christian wasn’t a straight “A” student, but with hard work and determination, and his desire to surround himself with like minded friends, he had many semesters on the honor roll.

His life has continued to be filled with “set a goal, work hard, and reach it” kind of moments. LDS mission, Christian left one month after he turned 19. College degree, got it done in 8 semesters, exactly. Dream job as a fly-fishing guide, no problem, got an interview via phone, and was hired at a fly-in lodge in Alaska. Outdoor activities, you name it, Christian does it, and he does it well. This work, serve and play ethic has continued to this day. Getting married took Christian a little longer (well, at least according to his mom), but Jessi was most certainly worth the wait.

Several years ago Christian joined the Salt Lake Rotary Club, where his Dad is also a member. He, at the time was probably one of the younger members of that large and historic Club. No worries there. Christian soon got to know everyone, served on committees, and found his niche working with Rotary Exchange students. The students all love him (can you imagine that). Christian’s also been active in the Big Brother Big Sister program.

On to ROCKS. You’ve heard the expression “like a rock”, or “rock solid” or “rock foundation”?  Mike and I live in a small community in the Sandy area called, Granite. So named because the area is full of huge granite rocks. I have several of those granite rocks in my yard that look at every single day. They are rough, varied and look indestructible and impenetrable. Inside my home I have several amazing pieces of cut, honed and polished granite. Each piece looks different than the other, and very different from the rugged rocks outside. What makes them all so different and beautiful? It all depends on what’s inside. It’s the chips, veins, swirls, variations, stresses, and colors inside that make those large, strong, rough rocks so incredibly gorgeous when they are cut, polished and honed. From the first day that Christian had his mountain biking accident, the journey that he’s been on, has reminded me of those granite rocks. On the outside, Christian is a big, strong, rugged granite rock. Just like the ones I have around my home. Right now he is gaining some new chips, veins, stresses, and colors. All will help him continue to be “rock solid”, and most importantly, more beautiful inside.  It’s that focus, drive, and determination that Christian developed early on in life, that will see him through this journey. And having Jessi at his side!

I love you so much, Christian. You make me proud to be your mother. May God bless you. This I know, you are solid as a rock, and each day, even more beautiful inside.

MOM


4 comments:

  1. WOW, Sheila! That was worth the wait:) I've known you for many years and one of the things I've always loved about you is your honest assessment of your children. If anything, you've been hard on them. so if you say these things about Christian I know they're true and probably even better than you've said. We're SO proud of all of you and the beautiful way you've dealt with this. Continued love and prayers, Kris Albrecht

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said... he is very lucky to have you as a Mom, I'm lucky to call you my Aunt. Love you both Shar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was beautiful! It brings me to tears. And reminds us once again of all the great things Christian has done and continues to do in his life. I was impressed when he took a class for "fun" in Meteorology...
    Michelle Selui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian you and your family are incredible. Randy and I have had a cold/flu bug so we haven't been in to see you for a while. We have followed your blog which has kept us full of inspiration and awe. I knew from the first time I saw you after the accident when you woke up and gave me the biggest grin that you were determined to get well. YOU ARE MY HERO!! May God conttinue to bless you and fill you with love and strength.

    Sheila and Mike. Your thoughts in the blog are wonderful. I can feel the love of family when I read it. You are blessed with a wonderful family and friends who are full of love and support. Our love and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete